Sunday, December 13, 2015

Style Muse of the Month | December 2015

Jamila and Maya Jones


Happy December! For this month's style muse we have a slightly different feature. Two is always better than one right? Our December style muse consists of two lovely sisters from Dayton, Ohio that I met while living in NYC. I clicked instantly with Jamila and Maya when I met them because of how intrigued I was with their style (along with their lovely personalities of course). The twins were both completing fashion internships at the time, while being enrolled at school in Ohio. Take a look into their styles, careers, and more with this interview we did recently! 


What school do you guys go to and what are your majors?


Maya: I'm a Marketing major with Professional Sales and Fashion Studies minors

Jamila: And I'm a Fashion Design major

What are some internships that you have both have done and what was that experience like?

Maya: I completed internships with Valentina Kova, Elly Clay NYC, and Suno NY. Valentina Kova was my first internship. It was very hectic but a great learning experience. It got me quickly equipped to the pace of NYC and the pace of the fashion industry in general. Elly Clay is an ongoing virtual internship I’ve been involved with for a few years. I began as a social media intern and recently became the marketing coordinator and intern manager.

Mila: I've interned with Marchesa, American Eagle, Target, and Tory Burch. Every experience was different and special in its own way. Marchesa was my first time living in NYC and internship was really hands-on. American Eagle was completely different as I worked with the technical design team and measured a lot of garments and assisted with fittings. And Tory Burch was really nice because I have a similar design aesthetic personally. I assisted the A/W and S/S team and also the Resort and Pre-Fall team with their designs. I worked on garments for their show last February which was really exciting.

Jamila you literally just came back from studying in London! How was that??

Mila: Studying in London was such a great experience. I studied fashion design there as well and took some cool classes such as millinery and shoe-making. It was eye-opening to see how fashion design is taught in Europe versus the States. London is extremely diverse and inspiring. It was really nice to meet people from all over the world that were in the program and make connections and friendships. The best part of the experience was going to a Peter Pilotto fashion show and going to the British Fashion Awards.

It's clear that you both have gained so much experience already. What advice do you have for those trying to obtain fashion internships or trying to get into the fashion industry?

Mila: I would say, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. The fashion industry can be intimidating but realize the people managing you were once students and in the same position as you. Be as friendly and professional as you can, the fashion industry is very small. Also, sometimes it really is all about who you know. Keep yourself informed about what's happening in the fashion industry. Always go the extra mile with the time you put in you projects, designs, interviews, etc. because the industry is so competitive. Oh yea, and work hard, play hard!

Maya: I agree with Mila. Also, don’t be scared or picky but know your worth. Everything is a learning experience. All unpaid internships aren’t worthless and all paid internships aren’t necessarily beneficial. 

Describe your style in one word

Maya: Experimental 

Mila: Eclectic

Who are your style icons?

Mila: Solange. She’s so effortlessly bold and just beautifully original. I also love how indulged she is in arts, culture and travel because I am too.

Maya: Rihanna, she can pull of absolutely anything in my opinion…from sporty to classy.. you name it , she can do it!

Where do you guys like to shop? You both have the cutest pieces.  

Maya: We both love NastyGal, as well as Zara.

All time favorite statement piece? 

Maya: Omg so hard [laughs] I would say a jacket. I love fall, and the jacket finishes everything! I love trenches a lot

Mila: Necklaces and dangly earrings for me.

Compare and contrast you guys's styles!

Maya: Jamila has a more minimalistic style, I can be slightly more sporty at times and I can also be a little louder when it comes to prints and colors 

Mila: Agreed!

Spill the twin tea. Do you guys get outfit ideas from each other or share pieces? 

Both: Yes! All the time, when we aren’t arguing lol 

What are your ultimate career goals?

Both: To become business partners of a fashion line.


Be sure to follow this dynamic duo on Instagram and Snapchat: mayaaaishaa and fashionistamila



1 comment:

  1. Great job Tasha! I am very proud of you! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog